Check first if your employer offers anything that may suit you (flexible working policies etc) and see if you know anyone at work who has done this, so you can ask their advice.

  • Employees have a right to request a change in their contract, but your employer does not have to agree to this change.
  • Most Parents (or adopters) who are employees, with a child or children under the age of 18 – from 6th April 2011 – have the legal right to ask their employer if they can work more flexibly. From April 2007 carers of certain adults also have the right to request to work flexibly.  The employer does not have to agree to this, but has to consider the request seriously.

If your employer agrees to a change in your hours (so, a change in your contract) be aware that this change will be permanent (unless you agree a limited time period), and will be reflected in your pay and benefits (e.g. pension) entitlements.

If you work in the UK Media Industries and have a question about this or any other topic, please contact us.
If you are an Employer and need ongoing professional help with any staff/freelance issues then talk to us atThe HR Kiosk (click here) – a Human Resources Consultancy for small businesses – you can retain us for as much time as you need.
Please note that the advice given on this website and by our Advisors is guidance only and cannot be taken as an authoritative interpretation of the law. It can also not be seen as specific advice for individual cases. Please also note that there are differences in legislation in Northern Ireland.