We’re looking for an enthusiastic Java developer, ready to develop green-field systems in an agile environment, using the latest software development techniques and methodologies, including continuous delivery, SOA, and micro-services.
About the role:
What we expect of you:
- Experience in designing, developing, and testing software to a high standard.
- Ability to review code and designs from other developers, providing constructive criticism.
- Willing to contribute throughout your team: to stand-ups, reviews, retrospectives, and sprint planning.
- Ability to work well within a small team.
- A positive and enthusiastic attitude to your work, a systematic approach to investigations, as well as a tenacity and resourcefulness when dealing with difficult, complex, or novel problems.
- A keen interest in team and company discussions, regardless of your seniority.
We recognise that developers often have a diverse mixture of skills, and will always consider unconventional backgrounds – provided you are able to demonstrate the relevance of your skills, your enthusiasm, and your competence.
Java 7+ is an essential requirement, naturally.
While not essential, we would expect most of the following:
- ORM frameworks: JPA, Hibernate, Spring Data etc.
- A good understanding of HTTP, REST APIs, and the basics of web development.
- A web development framework such as Spring and/or Spring Boot.
- An understanding of the basics and the challenges of cloud-computing.
- Testing tools: JUnit, Cucumber, WebDriver, etc.
- Objected-oriented software design skills.
How we can help you:
- You will work with great technologies and colleagues, improving your skills as we all grow together. Teams are rotated regularly, so nobody gets left-out.
- We are meritocratic and genuinely interested in new ideas, so if you have something new and persuasive to offer, the way is open for you to make a big impact.
- Enjoy regular internal technical talks and presentations.
- “Sprint gaps”: up to 10% of your time is made available for work on personal development.
- Training, including visits to conferences and presentations; financial and accountancy training is also available.
- A great office opposite Preston Park in Brighton.
- A range of staff benefits including a company pension, life and health cover, free fresh fruit, free breakfasts in our Crunch cafe, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme, half day on your birthday, discounts at local fitness centres and food/coffee establishments, and a relaxed, friendly, learning environment to thrive in.
We’re located in the heart of Brighton, developing cutting-edge, cloud-based financial services for freelancers, contractors, and small businesses. Named the UK’s fastest growing accountancy firm, our software – written by software developers just like you – is supported by a team of in-house accountants.
Please email any applications, including cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.