Should I have a company car, van or motorcycle?

Should I have a company car, van or motorcycle?, image of open van | Crunch

Table of contents

    Limited companies can benefit from a company car, van or motorcycle. Whether you’re transporting equipment and materials or simply travelling between clients, having a mode of company transport can be invaluable. If you’re a sole trader, you can’t have a company car but other options are available.

    Purchasing a vehicle for business purposed can be something of a grey area for the self-employed. Can you claim it as a business expense? What about fuel? And repairs? Are there any special taxes you need to think about?

    If you’re a self-employed sole trader, then you won’t be able to have a company car, as there is no company. However, you still have a choice of how to claim your business mileage expenses. We explain business mileage and business vehicles for sole traders in our detailed article on sole trader expenses.

    If you run your business as a limited company and you’re thinking of getting a company car, you should always contact your accountant to discuss what the best option is for your situation. If you’re looking to get the lay of the land, however, we’ve compiled everything you need to get you started.

    What are the tax obligations?

    Your company car will be taxed as a benefit in kind, with some fairly complex company car rules, because it is an asset used by you or your employees for benefit, and doesn’t feature in any salary payments. You can read more about other benefits in kind in our article, “What are benefits in kind?”.

    Whether to purchase a car through your company or to buy the car personally, and then claim business mileage allowance is a complex decision you should always take advice on.

    For instance, some car models have low tax liabilities due to their low carbon emissions. This may be attractive to your business and to you personally. On the other hand, if you will be travelling a high number of business miles, it may be more tax-efficient to purchase the car yourself and then claim business mileage expenses through your limited company.

    If you’d like to really get under the bonnet of company car taxation, to calculate what you’re likely to pay in tax, you can check out our in-depth article on taxation of company cars.

    Company cars and vans

    The current business mileage rate for cars and vans is set by HMRC at 45p for the first 10,000 miles, and 25p thereafter. If you are paid at a rate higher than that set by HMRC, you’ll need to report the difference on your annual P11D return as a Benefit in Kind.

    Company bikes and motorcycles

    Bikes and motorcycles are also subject to business mileage rates – for motorcycles, the rate is fixed at 24p for all miles travelled. For normal push-bikes, the rate is also fixed for all miles travelled at 20p. This is only for limited companies, sole traders cannot claim mileage for cycling.

    What else can I claim as a travel expense?

    There are other travel expenses you can claim on your company vehicle, including:

    • Vehicle insurance
    • Parking
    • Breakdown cover
    • Repairs and servicing.

    Just remember to check in with your accountant before you go ahead and make any of these claims – they’ll be able to give you more tailored advice about what you can claim.

    What other expenses can I claim?

    This handy guide will help you save money by giving you detailed instructions on exactly what you’re entitled to claim as business expenses – and how to go about doing it. You might be surprised to learn about the various business expenses that you never thought you could claim before.

    Business Expenses made easy