What should I do if my tax code is incorrect? - A freelancer on the phone to HMRC

If your tax code is incorrect, you could be paying more tax than you need to or even underpaying tax.

If you move between employments, and your entitlement to benefits in kind has changed, or you have paid the wrong amount of tax in previous years, there may be a delay as HMRC updates its records. Consequently, you may be overpaying or underpaying tax, and you'll need to work out the tax that you owe. If you'd like to understand more about how your own code is calculated, take a look at our tax codes explained guide. You could also compare this with our personal income tax estimator for further clarity.

What should I do if I believe my tax code is incorrect?

If you think you are paying the wrong amount of tax, you should contact HMRC on 0300 200 3300. Have as much information to hand as possible to support your view that your tax code is wrong (such as your P11D and P45 from previous employers).

Your accountant won’t be able to call on your behalf as HMRC will not accept communication through an agent on this matter.

What do I need?

You’ll need your National Insurance number and your company PAYE scheme reference.

Once you've got the right tax code, you'll be able to use our tax calculators to confirm that you're paying the correct amount.

Cloud software can revolutionise your accounting

Speak to an accounting expert

If you're unsure what level of support you need, our friendly team are on hand to help you pick the right package for you.
team photo off all crunch team
Share this post
Tom West
Community and Social Manager
Updated on
February 28, 2019

Knowledge Hubs

Speak to the experts

Our UK based team of experts are ready to help you find the best accounting package for you and your business.

icon of a green tick
Certified Accountants
icon of a green tick
HMRC Approved
Senior Sales Advisor
Book a meeting
Crunch Pro Tip
Using cloud-based accountancy software to manage your finances gives any small business a big advantage!

At Crunch we provide affordable cutting-edge, easy-to-use software with real human support from expert chartered accountants. That’s probably why 81% of our clients would recommend Crunch.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - you have access to a Chartered Certified accountant for free on our paid subscriptions?

Book a call with our one accountants and get your questions answered. Just £24.50 +VAT for Crunch Free users.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - Financial forecasting can allow you to predict any financial changes in your business and see the results of potential new ideas?

Our partnership with Brixx forecasting software gives our paid plan clients access to a financial forecasting tool for free.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - Your Self Assessment has to be filed by the 31st of January deadline?

Crunch’s Self Assessment service provides an expert accountant to complete, check, and file your Self Assessment for you for just £111.60 +VAT.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - We have a free plan that is great for sole traders and limited companies?

Why not see for yourself? It’s simple and easy to use and 100% free.