HMRC logo in Westminster

HMRC delights in giving its never-ending collection of forms cryptic names. The P60 is just one of them, and you’re about to learn everything you need to know about it.

What is a P60?

A P60 is a summary of your pay and all deductions in a specific tax year (that’s 6th April right through to 5th April the following year).

It’ll detail a variety of information, including:

  • Total pay from all current and previous employments during the previous tax year
  • Total amount of tax deducted via PAYE
  • National Insurance contributions
  • Student loan and statutory payments, such as maternity/paternity pay

Who gets one?

If you’re receiving a salary on 5th April, you should receive one by the 31st May that year. If you run a limited company and draw a salary, you’ll need to issue yourself with a P60. In most cases, your accountant will do this for you. If you’re a Crunch client, then you can access your P60 within the Crunch system.

Why do I need one?

Aside from being a handy record of the amount of tax you’ve paid, the form may be required for a number of other reasons, including:

  • Reclaiming any overpaid Income Tax or National Insurance
  • Applying for anything means-tested, such as tax credits
  • Completing a Self Assessment return
  • Applying for loans or mortgages.

What if I have multiple jobs?

If you’re employed by more than one company on 5th April in a given year, you’ll receive separate forms from each.

What are my responsibilities as an employer?

Whether you’re a sole trader or run a limited company, you need to file P60 forms for all employees who are on your books on 5th April each year. The forms must then be provided to your employees by 31st May the same year. The forms can be printed or digital – the choice is yours.

What if I use an umbrella company?

Contractors operating through a UK umbrella company will receive a P60. Your umbrella company should provide it to you – check out our Crunch Umbrella service for information on how we support our Umbrella contractors.

Do I need a P60 as a sole trader?

Since you don’t draw a salary as a sole trader, you won’t need to issue yourself with a P60. However, if you have any employees, you’ll need to issue these forms to them. If you receive a salary from other sources, you should get a P60 from your employer(s).

Limited company accountancy support

Check out our limited company online accountancy support for more details on how Crunch can support you and your business, helping you file your Self Assessment, manage your accounts, and claim your expenses.

Speak to an accounting expert

If you're unsure what level of support you need, our friendly team are on hand to help you pick the right package for you.
team photo off all crunch team
Share this post
Jake Smith
Content Strategy Manager
Updated on
April 9, 2021

Knowledge Hubs

Speak to the experts

Our UK based team of experts are ready to help you find the best accounting package for you and your business.

icon of a green tick
Certified Accountants
icon of a green tick
HMRC Approved
Senior Sales Advisor
Book a meeting
Crunch Pro Tip
Using cloud-based accountancy software to manage your finances gives any small business a big advantage!

At Crunch we provide affordable cutting-edge, easy-to-use software with real human support from expert chartered accountants. That’s probably why 81% of our clients would recommend Crunch.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - you have access to a Chartered Certified accountant for free on our paid subscriptions?

Book a call with our one accountants and get your questions answered. Just £24.50 +VAT for Crunch Free users.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - Financial forecasting can allow you to predict any financial changes in your business and see the results of potential new ideas?

Our partnership with Brixx forecasting software gives our paid plan clients access to a financial forecasting tool for free.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - Your Self Assessment has to be filed by the 31st of January deadline?

Crunch’s Self Assessment service provides an expert accountant to complete, check, and file your Self Assessment for you for just £140 +VAT.

Crunch Pro Tip
Did you know - We have a free plan that is great for sole traders and limited companies?

Why not see for yourself? It’s simple and easy to use and 100% free.