Get 50% off our limited company packages for your first three months

Knowledge from Crunch - love accounting

Should I have a company car, van or motorcycle?

Posted by Ross Bramble on Dec 4th, 2018 | Expenses

Should I have a company car, van or motorcycle? | A van | Crunch

Businesses can benefit from a company car, van or motorcycle. Whether you’re transporting equipment and materials or simply travelling between clients, having a mode of company transport can be invaluable.

Taking on a company vehicle can be something of a grey area for the self-employed. Can you claim it as a business expense? What about fuel? And repairs? Are there any special taxes you need to think about?

If you run your business as a limited company and you’re thinking of getting a company car, you should always contact your accountant to discuss what the best option is for your situation. If you’re looking to get the lay of the land, however, we’ve compiled everything you need to get you started.

What are the tax obligations?

Your company car will be taxed as a benefit in kind because it is an asset or service used by you or your employee for benefit, and doesn’t feature in any salary payments. You can read more about benefits in kind in our article, “What are benefits in kind?”.

Generally speaking, the Corporation Tax break you receive from a company car will be balanced by the personal tax you’ll need to pay on this benefit. For this reason, the most tax-efficient way to deal with a company vehicle is usually to buy the car personally, and then claim business mileage allowance.

If you’d like to really get under the bonnet of company car taxation, to calculate what you’re likely to pay in tax, you can check out our in-depth article on taxation of company cars.

Company cars and vans

The current business mileage rate for cars and vans is set by HMRC at 45p for the first 10,000 miles, and 25p thereafter. If you are paid at a rate higher than that set by HMRC, you’ll need to report the difference on your annual P11D return.

Company bikes and motorcycles

Bikes and motorcycles are also subject to business mileage rates – for motorcycles, the rate is fixed at 24p for all miles travelled. For normal push-bikes, the rate is also fixed for all miles travelled at 20p.

What else can I claim as a travel expense?

There are other travel expenses you can claim on your company vehicle, including:

  • Vehicle insurance
  • Parking
  • Breakdown cover
  • Repairs and servicing.

Just remember to check in with your accountant before you go ahead and make any of these claims – they’ll be able to give you more tailored advice about what you can claim.

What other expenses can I claim?

This handy guide will help you save money by giving you detailed instructions on exactly what you’re entitled to claim as business expenses – and how to go about doing it. You might be surprised to learn about the various business expenses that you never thought you could claim before.

Business Expenses made easy

Limited company? Don’t miss out

Start the new year with a great offer: 50% off your first three months when you take up a new limited company package with Crunch!

Join Crunch Chorus:
The free community for the self-employed

You'll get access to a range of benefits, such as invoice software, jargon-free business guides, great networking opportunities, discounts, plus much more

Useful tools and resources

Business guides

From understanding expenses to starting a limited company, we've a range of jargon-free business guides for you to download and keep.

Invoicing software and templates

Create, send and store sole trader invoices in a snap with our free invoice software. You can also download a selection of invoice templates for all business types.

Take-home pay calculator

Use our Take-Home Pay Calculator to work out your true earnings and see if you could save money with a different company set up.

Need help with your accountancy?

Join 11,000 clients who trust our advice, support, and leading accountancy software for their business. All the support and advice you need, wherever you need it. Speak to an expert today on 0333 311 0800 to find out more about our bespoke packages.

    Find out more