Running a business

How to de-register as self-employed

Retired man at a laptop

Table of contents

    Are you going back to full-time work and want to know how to de-register as self-employed, or maybe you’re retiring after a successful solo career? You’ll be pleased to know that letting HMRC know about your change in circumstances is a straightforward process, but an important one nonetheless.

    Going back to full-time employment?

    If you’re going back to regular employment, you’ll need to let HMRC know. You can call HMRC on 0300 200 3310 and inform them you’re no longer self-employed, or many have found the simplest way to do it is to de-register as self-employed online.

    You’ll need the following to hand:

    • Your National Insurance Number
    • Unique Tax Reference (UTR).

    HMRC are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.00pm, and Saturday to Sunday 8.00am to 4.00pm.

    Looking to close your limited company?

    Have you decided to downsize your limited company, or do you miss the days of being a sole trader? If so, check out our handy and informative article “How to close a limited company down – Your options”.

    If you were actually looking for how to register as self-employed we’ve got an article with all the info you need.

    Want to give self-employment another try?

    If your ambitions have been cut short, don’t fear. When you decide to have another pop at being your own boss, the Crunch Chorus community will be by your side during the highs and lows of your self-employed journey. To help you in any problem areas, we’ve also got a series of jargon-free business guides for you to download and keep.