Knowledge from Crunch - love accounting

P60 Form – What is a P60, do I need one and where do I get one?

Posted by Jake Smith on Aug 27th, 2018 | Tax

HMRC - P60 Form - What is a P60, do I need one and where do I get one? = Crunch

HMRC delights in giving its never-ending collection of forms cryptic names. The P60 is just one of them, and you’re about to learn everything you need to know about it.

What is a P60?

A P60 is a summary of your pay and all deductions in a specific tax year (that’s 6th April right through to 5th April the following year).

It’ll detail a variety of information, including:

  • Total pay from all current and previous employments during the previous tax year
  • Total amount of tax deducted via PAYE
  • National Insurance contributions
  • Student loan and statutory payments, such as maternity/paternity pay

Self Assessment - Get the lowdown!

Who gets one?

If you’re receiving a salary on 5th April, you should receive one by the 31st May that year. If you run a limited company and draw a salary, you’ll need to issue yourself with a P60. In most cases, your accountant will do this for you. If you’re a Crunch client, then you can access your P60 within the Crunch system.

Why do I need one?

Aside from being a handy record of the amount of tax you’ve paid, the form may be required for a number of other reasons, including:

  • Reclaiming any overpaid Income Tax or National Insurance
  • Applying for anything means-tested, such as tax credits
  • Completing a Self Assessment return
  • Applying for loans or mortgages.

What if I have multiple jobs?

If you’re employed by more than one company on 5th April in a given year, you’ll receive separate forms from each.

What are my responsibilities as an employer?

Whether you’re a sole trader or run a limited company, you need to file P60 forms for all employees who are on your books on 5th April each year. The forms must then be provided to your employees by 31st May the same year. The forms can be printed or digital – the choice is yours.

What if I use an umbrella company?

Contractors operating through a UK umbrella company will receive a P60. Your umbrella company should provide it to you – check out our Crunch Umbrella service for information on how we support our Umbrella contractors.

Do I need a P60 as a sole trader?

Since you don’t draw a salary as a sole trader, you won’t need to issue yourself with a P60. However, if you have any employees, you’ll need to issue these forms to them. If you receive a salary from other sources, you should get a P60 from your employer(s).

Limited company accountancy support

Check out our limited company online accountancy support for more details on how Crunch can support you and your business, helping you file your Self Assessment, manage your accounts, and claim your expenses.

Business Expenses made simple with our guide.

See how Crunch could help your business!

Discover our free software and our suite of great value accountancy packages.

Join Crunch Chorus:
The free community for the self-employed

You'll get access to a range of benefits, such as invoice software, jargon-free business guides, great networking opportunities, discounts, plus much more

Useful tools and resources

Business guides

From understanding expenses to starting a limited company, we've a range of jargon-free business guides for you to download and keep.

Invoicing software and templates

Create, send and store sole trader invoices in a snap with our free invoice software. You can also download a selection of invoice templates for all business types.

Take-home pay calculator

Use our Take-Home Pay Calculator to work out your true earnings and see if you could save money with a different company set up.

Need help with your accountancy?

Join 11,000 clients who trust our advice, support, and leading accountancy software for their business. All the support and advice you need, wherever you need it. Speak to an expert today on 0333 311 0800 to find out more about our bespoke packages.

    Find out more